On July 17, 2014, U.S. EPA proposed amendments to the New Source Performance Standards for the Oil and Natural Gas Sector (40 CFR Part 60, Subpart OOOO). The amendments, proposed in response to several petitions for administrative reconsideration of the storage vessel provisions of Subpart OOOO, include the following:
· Clarification of requirements for handling of flowback gases and liquids
· Definition of “low pressure gas well”
· Requirements for determining the potential emissions of storage vessels that employ vapor recovery
· Provisions for storage vessels that are removed from service; and
· Equipment subject to leak detection requirements
Comments on the proposed amendments are due by August 18, 2014, unless a public hearing is requested by July 22, 2014. If a public hearing is requested before July 22, comments must be submitted by September 2, 2014.